Sous un Ciel de Pétales - Candle - Maître Tseng × Trudon Edition
Maître Tseng × Trudon Edition
Combining jasmine sambac and jasmine grandiflorum – both originating from the Himalayas – and with fresh notes of bergamot, the fragrance of Sous un Ciel de Pétales (Under a Sky of Petals), created by Vincent Ricord, alludes to a floral scene. Its fragrance is supported by base notes of guaiac wood and light touches of incense, which evoke this candle’s connection to the earth.
The origin of Sous un Ciel de Pétales’ Chinese name is closely linked to the Qing dynasty poem that Master Tseng has written on the front of Maison des Trois Thés in calligraphy: 桃花源. This refers to the myth of Shangri La, a heavenly valley where peach trees are in full bloom, protected from time and the outside world, the existence of which cannot be revealed if one hopes to ever return there. Those who walk through its gate, just like that of Maison des Trois Thés, have been warned.
Maître Tseng × Trudon : The very begining
It all began with a tea enthusiasts’ dream. Julien Pruvost, Creative Director at Trudon wanted to meet legendary tea master Yu Hui Tseng. Three years ago in Paris, this meeting finally took place at Maison des Trois Thés:
"Master Tseng's presence, her precise handicraft, her beautiful tea utensils, the parchment-like gold of the walls of the teahouse covered with Chinese calligraphy, the warm shine of the room’s wooden furniture, the steam rising from the black clay kettle heated by a flame, the inspiring calm of the liquid as it wraps around precious leaves; everything stirred up deep emotions. I felt the privilege of being invited to become immersed in her universe, not just to drink her tea.
During this tasting, with all the tea prepared by Master Tseng, I felt powerfully transported into hidden inner worlds. The selection of teas, each with their own incredible flavor, acted as subtle media revealing new spiritual depths. Over the weeks, this experience left a lasting impression on me. I felt increasingly convinced that Trudon, with its age-old attachment to the values of refinement and excellence, would be able to create candles which, while they would not claim to reproduce teas’ aromas and flavors, would pay tribute to the richness and beauty of the tea universe lived and embodied by Master Tseng through the stories they tell with scents.”
“Her descriptions of teas are evidence of her tremendous skills, knowledge and memory. Yet, she only speaks of tea as a simple and immediate pleasure.” -Tran An Hung (Filmmaker & Director of The Scent of Green Papaya – Camera d’Or Cannes Film Festival 1993)
- Top Notes: Bergamot, lemon, elemi
- Middle Notes: Jasmine absolute Egypt, Sambac jasmine absolute India
- Base Notes: Guaiac wood, incense oil somalia , musk
ADDITIONAL INFO & INSTRUCTIONS
When using the candle for the first time, leave it to burn for at least 2 hours, until all the wax has become liquid on the surface.
Trim the wick on a regular basis
Ensure the wick is situated in the centre of the wax after every use to guarantee an even burn.
Do not leave candle burning unattended. Do not set in a draft. Keep away from children, curtains and pets.
THE HISTORY OF CIRE TRUDON
- 1643: Claude Trudon becomes the owner of a store on rue Saint Honoré in Paris. There he sells spices and candles.
- 1702: Michel Brice Péan de Saint Gilles founds the manufacture for the whitening of waxes and the manufacturing of candles in the town of Antony, south of Paris.
- 1719: The manufacture becomes a Royal Manufacture, the one and only candle manufacture to ever obtain this title.
- 1737: As a Trudon heir, Jérôme Trudon buys the Royal Wax Manufacture, in Antony. The manufacture innovates and perfects the art of manufacturing perfectly white beeswax candles. Its moto becomes “DEO REGIQUE LABORANT”, which means: “They work for God and the King.”, “they” being the bees.
- 1811: The manufacture supplies the Imperial court of France.
- 1889: The Carrière brothers, successors of the Trudon family and knowhow, obtain a gold medal for the innovation brought to their candles.
- 2007: At the crossroad between knowhow and History, scented Trudon candles are born.
- 2018: Trudon launches it bee conservancy program in collaboration with the Orne Dark Bee Conservancy and the Perche regional Nature Park.